The 15th annual Art in the Garden show at Paxson Hill Farm takes place this Labor Day weekend. Each year, the show presents the work of more than 50 fine artists and artisans from around the Delaware River Valley. The mix of hand-woven garments, jewelry, leather goods, metalwork, glassware, paintings, prints and much more makes this is a great opportunity for some early holiday shopping. Nothing beats locally made, quality, one-of-a-kind gifts!
Weeds, beetles, caterpillars, rabbits, groundhogs, excessive heat, downpours, miscalculations and a few failed crops… .
By this point in the summer, the average organic gardener may wonder (very briefly) if it’s really worth all the effort.
Another Earth Day has come and gone, begging the question: What will we do differently in the coming year to live more harmoniously with Mother Earth?
Like New Year’s, Earth Day inspires many of us to aspire. Since its debut in 1970, the day has served as an annual reminder that we can each do something more to green our lifestyles. So, just as we kick off the new year with a new diet or self-improvement list, we may mentally commit ourselves each Earth Day to recycle more or plant some trees. Continue reading
Yes, it’s been a while since the last Fresh post. A big thanks to all of you who have been asking “where are you?” and “when can we expect the next post”? Glad to know you are out there! The answer to the first question is “still here!” To the second, “very soon.” Watch for a post featuring Doylestown, PA’s latest addition to the local food movement: the Doylestown Food Co-Op.
With the book version of the blog under way, Fresh will move to a monthly schedule throughout 2014. Please stay tuned. Less can sometimes be more.
Freshbyhand’s collaged picture frames and mirrors will be on sale at an upcoming holiday gift show in Solebury Township, PA. The frames upcycle imagery from original prints created with block printing, mono type and etching techniques. The imagery is inspired by nature, found materials and the creative possibilities of paint, ink and glue.
This one incorporates an original block print image.
This one is collaged using remnants of etchings and mono prints.
8th Annual Holiday Shopping Extravaganza
- Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10 am – 3 pm
- Solebury United Methodist Children’s Learning Center’
- 2536 Aquetong Road, New Hope, PA
- Free Admission
- Childcare available
- Refreshments & activities for kids
The show will include a number of other local craft artisans, a fair trade organization and some direct selling companies.
If you’re local to Stockton, NJ, you can get a jump start on your Spring cleaning this week by donating gently used items to the Stockton Borough School’s annual Rummage Sale.
Known locally as “the rummage,” this popular event never ceases to attract an amazing array of “trash to treasure” items from locals happy to clean out their homes while helping out a neighborhood school. Drop off is at the Prallsville Mill, Rt. 29, Stockton, as follows:
- Sunday, March 10 through Thursday, March 14, between 9:30 and 4 p.m. Please note that donations cannot by accepted any later than Thursday afternoon.
This is a great opportunity to get rid of everything from clothes and toys your kids have outgrown to remnants of your discarded hobbies (sewing supplies, wood shop tools) to, well, just about anything you can fit in the trunk of your car.
Specifically, the Stockton School asks that people follow these guidelines in donating gently used items:
- Clothing and accessories.
- Books, including hardcover, paperback and “books on tape,” but no textbooks, travel guides, catalogs or magazines.
- Music — CDs, records, DVDs, but no videotapes.
- Electronics — Playstation/Gameboy/Wii games, small consumer electronics, but no old televisions or computers.
- Household items — vases, dishes, knick-knacks, glasses, mugs, pictures and frames, tools, rugs, table & chair sets, cabinets, dressers, but no mattresses or stuffed furniture.
- Linens — sheets, comforters, towels, curtains, tablecloths, etc.
- Jewelry — earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, watches, etc.
- Toys — dolls, puzzles, games, dress-up items, musical instruments, sports equipment, etc.
All donations are tax-deductible. Just ask a volunteer for a form. Need directions to the Prallsville Mill? Go to http://drms-stockton.org/directions.html.
Mark Your Calendar
The Rummage Sale takes place:
- Saturday, March 16, 2013, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday, March 17, 2013, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday kicks off with a 1/2-price sale at 9, followed by a bag sale from noon to 1 p.m.
All proceeds from the Rummage Sale benefit the Stockton Borough School.